Australia Expat Life Travel

Melbourne Road Trip to the NPL National Quarter Finals

September 19, 2016


This past weekend I went to Melbourne to watch Patrick’s team the Edgeworth Eagles play against Melbourne’s Bentleigh Greens in the National NPL Quarter Finals. To recap on how we got here, the Eagles won the Minor Premiership in their comp, the Northern NSW NPL. It was drawn that the minor premiers of the Northern NSW NPL (Edgeworth Eagles) would play the minor premiers of the Victorian NPL (Bentleigh Greens) in Victoria for the National NPL Quarter Finals.

Overall it meant that we would get to go to Melbourne! Now Patrick’s parents have planned a 4-week road trip around Australia and since the boys were playing in Melbourne they decided to drive and make Victoria the first part of their road trip. I decided that I would take up the opportunity and would ride with them to Melbourne so that I could experience the beautiful countryside of Australia. The drive from Newcastle, NSW to Melbourne, VIC would take us 10 hours, but it was so worth it!


We started early on Friday morning, I woke up at 4:30 am to a torrential downpour (not impressed) and I was to meet Brad and Kim at 5 am to begin our trip. Traffic was pretty heavy on the way to Sydney, but once we passed the Sydney it seemed to only be us and a few other cars on the road. The countryside of rural Australia was amazing! I enjoyed every minute of looking out the window and taking in the scenery. Rolling green hills, fields of golden canola and the flat rocky plains made the drive worthwhile. The views were absolutely stunning!


img_7077 img_7083





We decided to stop for lunch just over the Victorian border in the city of Wodonga. We spotted a small cafe called Fifty Bean Street and decided to try it out. The cafe was so cute and quaint and fit only about 6 tables inside all together. They even had the fireplace going since it was a chilly day. We all wanted something simple and I decided to go with a chicken, avocado, tomato sandwich on toasted focaccia. OMG! This sandwich hit the spot and what just what I needed to re-energize myself for the rest of the drive. Absolutely delicious! The owners Wayne and Louise made us feel right at home in their cafe and I could definitely see myself going there again.



We got back on the road and continued for another 3 hours until we hit the city limits of Melbourne! YAY!


We drove straight into the city navigating hook turns to finally locate our hotel, the Mantra on Little Bourke Street. We unpacked and changed into our going out clothes in order to meet the boys for dinner. Two bottles of wine and a glass of champagne later we headed back to our hotel for some much-needed sleep.


Unfortunately, the next morning we were not feeling in tip top shape and we all seemed a bit slow to get out of bed. My friend Katie arrived on the early morning flight from Newcastle and met us at the hotel so we could go in search of breakfast. We found a cute little cafe in Hardware Lane and I immediately ordered smashed avo and feta on sourdough. During breakfast, I had a major casualty in the form of severely biting my tongue and having it swell and bleed profusely. After eating some much-needed food and making a quick stop to the newsagent to pick up an icy pole (to sooth my very swollen tongue) we decided to do what everyone comes to Melbourne to do! Go shopping!!!


Cafes and Restuarants of Hardware Lane

We hit the emporium and started making our way through the stores until it was time for us to catch the bus to the boy’s soccer game. While en route to the game Brad informed us that there were DFO’s (Direct Factory Outlets) directly across from the soccer field. This could not have gotten any better. Since we arrived an hour and a half early before the game started we decided to check out the DFO’s. We managed to find some bargains and headed back to the field right after kick off.

As you could tell from the top of this post we WON! After an anxiety-filled 90 minutes and two 15 minute bouts of extra time, we succeeded in winning 3-1 over Bentleigh Greens. The boys played great and are now off to the semi-finals in Perth next weekend. Unfortunately, on such short notice I won’t be able to go to Perth due to how expensive last minute flights are.



Katie and I at the game


Patrick didn’t want me to take his picture, but I obviously didn’t listen haha




After the game, we all went out for a night of celebrations that went well into the next morning. As Sunday arrived unfortunately so did our flights back to Newcastle. With most everyone hungover from the night before we somehow still managed to get to the airport in time for our flights.


Until next time Melbourne!




You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply