Australia Travel

Day Trip to Wineglass Bay

March 14, 2017

Continuing on with our Tasmanian road trip we headed south towards Wineglass Bay, which is located in Freycinet National Park. Patrick and I chose to stay at the caravan park in Coles Bay since it was so close. In order to enter the park, the first thing you have to do is head to the visitors centre to buy your park pass for $24. From there you can enter the park and start exploring. Our day trip to Wineglass Bay was actually split over two days since we only just arrived in Coles Bay around 5pm.

Cape Tourville Lighthouse

The first thing we did was drive up to the Cape Tourville Lighthouse. This was a short and easy walk with amazing views. The actual lighthouse was not that impressive, but the views more than made up for it.

cape tourville 2

cape tourville

cape tourville 3

lighthouse

After the lighthouse we decided to stop at Freycinet Lodge for a quick drink and bite to eat. I would definitely be interested in staying at Freycinet Lodge it had an amazing back veranda with views overlooking the bay.

freycinet lodge 2

freycinet lodge

The Hazards

The Hazards is a mountain range in Freycinet National Park that is positioned between Coles Bay and Wineglass Bay. These mountains are beautiful in daylight but even more stunning at sunset. For dinner, Patrick and I prepared a meat & cheese platter, some local freycinet oysters, and a couple of ciders and had picnic down by the water watching the sun go down over the mountains.

hazards

hazards 3

hazards 2

picnic

Wineglass Bay

I think I had been most excited about seeing Wineglass Bay. It always looked so beautifully calm and peaceful online that I was ready to go hiking and see it for myself. Patrick and I decided that we would do the 3-hour, 11km Wineglass Bay and Hazards Beach circuit, with this being decided we woke up promptly at 6 am to get ready eat breakfast and check out of our cabin before 7 am. We hit the track at 7:15 and started our ascent. As we made our way up in between the mountains the views became unreal and would be something I will never forget.

wineglass bay circuit

wineglass bay 7

Looking back over Coles Bay

wineglass bay 4

Coles Bay

wineglass bay 5

wineglass bay 6

wineglass bay 8

wineglass bay 2

wineglass bay

wineglass bay 3

The beach at Wineglass Bay

The hike at a whole was amazing, very tiring, but definitely worth it. If you are every in Tasmania Freycinet National Park is a MUST!

Next stop on our road trip is Richmond!

XX Court

You Might Also Like

14 Comments

• Reply Bay of Fires at Binalong Bay - The Mind of Court March 14, 2017 at 2:54 pm

[…] Hope you enjoyed the photos from the Bay of Fires at Binalong Bay! Next stop is Bicheno, Coles Bay & Freycinet National Park! […]

• Reply Jyo March 14, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Your pictures are so beautiful!! I especially love the picture of the beach by Wineglass bay!

• Reply Kandja Sylla March 15, 2017 at 8:57 am

Your photos are breathtaking! Every landscape and place are captured beautifully. Would love to visit the Wineglass Bay soon. Thanks for the share Court. xx

• Reply Katie March 16, 2017 at 8:24 am

Wow, it looks beautiful, excellent photos! I’m Australian and Tassie is the only state I haven’t visited yet! I have heard it is really beautiful! I will get there one of these days!

• Reply Court March 16, 2017 at 8:30 am

It was absolutely beautiful! We found really cheap jetstar flights and that’s what pushed us to go. We couldn’t say no it was too good to pass up.

• Reply Andy March 16, 2017 at 8:24 am

This is a must on my bucket list! 😀 I have so many friends in Australia and finally making a trip in 2017! 🙂 This is beautiful! How long were you in Australia for?

• Reply Court March 16, 2017 at 8:29 am

• Reply Court March 16, 2017 at 8:32 am

Hi Andy! I currently live in Australia and it’s great I love it here. Our trip to Tassie was only 5 days long, but I could have spent a lot more time there. When and where are you visiting in Australia?

• Reply Jan Limark March 16, 2017 at 9:33 am

The view is so amazing. I should definitely add this on my to-go list. I would love to take selfies *haha*

All the Best,
    Jan Limark | Brotherly Creative

• Reply Melony March 16, 2017 at 11:10 am

See ya on Facebook,

• Reply Erica Schwarz March 16, 2017 at 3:32 pm

Stunning! Absolutely stunning photos! …And it’s called Wineglass. So there’s that 😉

• Reply Oyinkan Ogunleye March 17, 2017 at 1:37 am

OMG these views are incredible! I would love to visit one day.

• Reply Clarissa March 28, 2017 at 5:02 am

Your photos are beautiful! Looks like perfect sunny/overcast weather too – a perfect day for your picnic!

-Clarissa @ The View From Here

• Reply Agness of Fit Travelling May 19, 2017 at 6:17 am

Stunning photos of a spectacular place! The wineglass bay is breathtaking, Court!