Travel

10 Things To Do in Auckland, New Zealand

May 31, 2017
Auckland

Kia Ora Everyone!

I am just now able to sit down and write about my whirlwind trip to Auckland, New Zealand that happened this past March. Now, this wasn’t a normal holiday, but let’s just call it a working holiday… What I mean by this is that the company I work for held its Annual Scientific Meeting in Auckland, NZ and I got to go!

So yes this was my very first work trip abroad! Well… okay I guess it’s only “across the ditch” as they say here in Aus, but it was still a great time none the less. Over the entire week I attended the conference and was “working”, but if you count gala dinners and late nights out at the bars then I guess it really wasn’t too bad haha.

I ended up being busy with the conference the whole week and I didn’t actually get to go site seeing around Auckland. However, I did manage to get to Viaduct Harbour, New Zealand Maritime Museum and see the Sky Tower.

Auckland

Viaduct Harbour 2

Viaduct harbour

Since I didn’t get to actually visit everything I wanted I thought I’d share with you the list of what I was going to go see while I was there.

1. Sky Tower

Some people like to jump off this…  for me it was enough to just look at

2. Waiheke Island

I love wine so when I heard about Waikeke Island I knew it was a must. Really though who doesn’t like an island full of wineries????

3. Auckland Museum

I’m a museum geek and I love learning history about places I visit. The Moari are a huge part of New Zealand so any chance to go learn about these people I would have been right there! I was fortunate enough to watch the Haka performed right in front of me while I was visiting in New Zealand and it was the most amazing things I’ve ever experienced.

4. Mount Eden

Ever thought of climbing to the top of a volcano? Well, tick off that bucketlist when you reach the top of Auckland’s natural highest point, Mount Eden.

5. Viaduct Harbour

Viaduct Harbour is the place to go to get a great meal and start a bar crawl. This section of town is always full of people out for a good time.

6. Queen Street, Auckland

Everyone loves shopping and Queen Street is the place to go!

A post shared by Anast 💮 (@anastasiadamman) on

7. Auckland Night Markets

We all love going to markets. So I just have to say two words… Night Markets… Yep that’s enough to make me want to go.

Auckland nights…🌟🌟🌟📸 @sophiawang92

A post shared by @ aucklandnightmarket on

8. Devonport

Devonport is a cute little seaside town just a quick ferry ride from the city. If your up for boutique shopping, great local food, and love walking around quaint village streets this is the place for you.

Did you know that Devonport was once an island? 🌴 Named after the Devonport naval base in England – Devonport is home to the Royal New Zealand Navy. 🌃 Take a wander through the local art galleries and see how the surrounding landscapes have inspired beautiful paintings and photographs (great if you’re looking for something special to take home). Browse boutique shops for unique, quality clothing and jewellery, then relax at one of Devonport’s casual-cool cafés and restaurants. Pop into the chocolaterie for handmade chocolates and truffles. There’s also a beautifully restored Victorian cinema if you fancy a flick. Today Devonport is just a 12 minute ferry trip from downtown Auckland🛥 . . . . . . #wheretogoinauckland #auckland #aucklandart #aucklandcity #aucklandpark #aucklandarts #devonport #devonportmarket #devonportnz #newzealand #newzealandmade #newzealand🇳🇿 #newzealandguide #newzealandbeauty

A post shared by ✳️ Auckland Instagram #1 🏙 (@aucklandonline) on

9. One Tree Hill

I know what your all thinking, but no you aren’t going to see Lucas and Nathan Scott lounging about. Instead, you may find yourself on top of another dormant volcano with an obelisk overlooking incredible view of Auckland.

One Tree Hill, Auckland 🇳🇿 #onetreehillauckland #auckland #onetreehillnz

A post shared by T&M (@medvedlinos_travel) on

10. New Zealand Maritime Museum

This museum showcases New Zealand’s maritime history from the first Polynesians to arrive in New Zealand, to the discovery and settlement of New Zealand by Europeans, right through to present day yachting success.

Hope you enjoyed my top 10 things to do in Auckland! Next trip I’m off to the USA!

XX Court

You Might Also Like

23 Comments

• Reply Laura June 1, 2017 at 7:15 am

Beautiful pictures! I really love the night market. Have to go there too!

• Reply Addison June 1, 2017 at 7:58 am

I am still stuck on the island full of wineries. Everything sounds so picturesque. I love how you use instagram for your photos.

• Reply Court June 1, 2017 at 8:07 am

Thanks Addison! Well I usually try to use my own photos, but when I am unable to take them I go to Instagram because it’s a way of getting a beautiful photo, but also crediting the person who has taken it!

• Reply Casey the College Celiac June 1, 2017 at 8:36 am

What a fun collection of places to go! I’ve never been to New Zealand but it’s definitely on my bucket list…for the gorgeous views and for fun activities like these!

• Reply SaraLyn June 1, 2017 at 9:15 am

It looks like some neat things to do if I ever venture to New Zealand! The Instagram pictures are a neat idea, I like that! 🙂

• Reply Delphine June 1, 2017 at 9:18 am

I went to Auckland recently, not long enough to see all of these things but very spectacular place! Next time I really want to go to Waiheke Island.

• Reply Tee June 1, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Great post Court. I was actually in Auckland myself last week. Although i didn’t get to all of these places this time around (coz i’ve been before), I totally agree they’re great places to visit.

• Reply Claire June 1, 2017 at 3:20 pm

These all look so good I can’t wait to go!

• Reply Lisa Sell June 1, 2017 at 6:55 pm

Going to New Zealand is on my bucket list. Your post has convinced me to shift it up a little higher in terms of priority!

• Reply Sofia June 1, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Soo on my bucket list (that entire part of the world). Love your photos!

• Reply Rachel June 2, 2017 at 1:49 am

This inspires me to travel more!

• Reply Sarah Camille June 2, 2017 at 2:27 am

Wow! This is a great list of sights to see. The island and that vineyard look really beautiful and relaxing. New Zealand is on my list of places to see, so I’ll have to keep these places in mind!
    Cheers, Sarah Camille // SCsScoop.com

• Reply Lexi @ TheGirlOnTheT June 2, 2017 at 4:40 am

I hope to get the New Zealand someday! My sister moved to Wellington a few months ago and I hope I can go visit her and travel to Auckland and around the NZ countryside. I’m saving up! I’m American so it will take a while to get out there, but anything’s possible! 🙂

• Reply Court June 2, 2017 at 7:26 am

Tickets shouldn’t set you back too much! Being from the USA is a plus since you don’t need a visa to travel to NZ! 🙂 You should definitely go out and visit your sister it just makes a better excuse to travel.

• Reply Louisa June 2, 2017 at 7:25 am

I’ve heard so many amazing things about New Zealand. It’s on my bucket list. Mount Eden and the night market are definitely places I’d love to visit.

• Reply kate June 2, 2017 at 8:17 am

Oh – one of my biggest bucket list trips! Looks fantastic- nice pics!

• Reply Tricia June 2, 2017 at 8:23 am

Sounds like a great work trip! I love being able to turn a conference into a little mini-vacation!

• Reply Robin June 2, 2017 at 8:38 am

If I can ever afford a trip there, I’ll definitely check out Mt Eden and the night market.

• Reply Priyadarshini Rajendran June 2, 2017 at 9:57 am

Wow..beautiful feed. I especially love your Cable Bay picture. Auckland sounds exciting!!

• Reply Luci June 2, 2017 at 12:31 pm

All the photos are beautiful and I would love to visit New Zealand one day.

• Reply Leah June 2, 2017 at 5:13 pm

I never got to Auckland when I went to NZ. I will be going back and doing the whole North Island in a few years time. Will definitely be checking out the wineries.. My favourite wine comes from there! You take beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Nida June 3, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Such an awesome review of this place !! Loving this night market !! Auckland is a must go place !! Thanks for your share

• Reply Sneak Peek: 2017 Travel Destinations - The Mind of Court June 14, 2017 at 7:44 am

[…] This trip was literally not planned until yesterday! Our boss has told us that we would now be attending our companies Annual Scientific Meeting in New Zealand. We have decided to take a few days before hand to explore a little bit of New Zealand. Check it out HERE! […]